Monday, August 16, 2010

A Solid Run

As the wedding approaches, I am trying to get out more and exercise in addition to eating healthier. This past weekend, I ran in the Damon Runyon 5k, whose course was laid out throughout Yankee Stadium! It was very cool, and we even got to run around the field on the warning track for a couple of laps!
I was a sprinter in track in HS and College (not anywhere close to elite, but I enjoyed competing), and a few years ago tried to get into running longer distances, to increase my endurance and improve my overall health.
As I have mentioned, my seizures are almost completely nocturnal. I say almost as there have been a few instances through my nearly three decades with epilepsy when I have seized while awake:

- My first seizure in 3rd grade, during the pledge of allegiance. :-) (I actually remember this one - pretty interesting memory!)
- A seizure while living with my roommate in Manhattan shortly after college (I was extremely drunk, not medicated, and chalked it up to the alcohol).
- A seizure at a pool match one league night (at the bar, but not drinking).
- And I seized while running during my more aggressive running phase a few years ago.

This last seizure occurred on a relatively hot day, and I was pushing myself on a long run (around 4 miles). On the sidewalk, I suddenly collapsed. Had it not been for a passing motorist who saw me fall and called the EMTs, I do not know how long I might have laid there. As it was, part of my fall contributed to a torn rotator cuff, and I eventually had shoulder surgery.
While I don't think that I am going to fall and tear my other shoulder (I have eliminated most of the other more significant factors of that injury from my life), I do still worry about pushing myself too hard in a workout and seizing. I simply don't know if any of the "big 4" had a contributing factor that day. I can rule out alochol, but stress? Running can be stressful, particularly when you are pushing yourself. Dehydration? Obviously. Exhaustion? Duh.

So back to yesterday, where I did a 5k with my friend and trainer Victor. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would love to get out and run even more often, and truly want to get myself back to where I was running a few years ago, when I was doing a much better job of running often, running good distances... Heck, running outside, as opposed to just on a treadmill!
But I still worry about that seizure...

No comments:

Post a Comment