Thursday, August 5, 2010

Facebook connections

Out of the blue this morning, I get an email from an old friend asking me why I had posted an article on Facebook about Epilepsy, and did I have Epilepsy. She went on to tell me that her 5 year old son does.
Now this is someone who I was friends with in High School, but am now just Facebook friends with, really. But what struck me is how Social Media are enabling people to find more and more people dealing with similar issues. 7 or 8 years ago, I would have told you that I knew of one, maybe two other people with Epilepsy. Since the advent of Social Media (and granted, the more attention Epilepsy has received), I have come to know more and more people whose lives have been affected by this condition.
I remember hearing the statistics "1 out of every 100 people has some form of epilepsy," but never being able to believe it. I knew hundreds of people - friends, acquaintances, family - through work, socializing, online... I only knew about one of my father's friends and a woman I knew from the bar. Three of us.
no longer.
On a separate note, today is the day I go up to 500mg of Primidone (Mysoline) - we'll see how this works for me, but I am keeping optimistic and hopeful that "this time" we have found the right balance of medications.
And Good Luck to you and your son, Jenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment