Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Seizure Dogs

It sounds strange to think of a "Seizure Dog," and yet there are animals out there who can sense the onset of a seizure. A blogger whom I follow (Alysse - www.brainthunders.com) has recently learned the devestating news that her dog (who just so happened to have the untrained and natural ability of being a seizure dog) has a tumor in its leg. I'm pulling hard for everything to come out well for Alysse, Tucket (the dog) and her entire family.
Mary has been my "seizure dog" (that sounds horrible, doesn't it?) since our relationship began. She wakes up when she senses a seizure coming on - usually from changes in my breathing, she says. This helps her make sure that I am not in a position to hurt myself or her when the seizure begins.
Now, our building doesn't allow dogs, but Mary has ALWAYS wanted a French Bulldog, so the natural, logical progression is for us to have a "seizure French Bulldog," as if we have a dog for medical reasons, it's not "really" a pet, is it? :-)
In our next building, perhaps... I will get Mary that French Bulldog one day. And if it is also a seizure dog, all the better!
Be strong, Alysse - Lots of good wishes are coming to Tucket for a speedy recovery from all over! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment