Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Artificial Sweeteners

I've been thinking recently about artificial sweeteners (Equal, Sweet 'N Low, Splenda, etc.) and how, if at all, such chemicals might interact with the brain as it relates to seizures. I remember years ago that people claimed there were links (spurious ones?) between Nutrasweet (Equal?) and an increased frequency in epileptic episodes.
Personally, I don't know if I subscribe to these theories (I certainly don't know if I view them as facts, but...), as I am a frequent imbiber of Diet Coke, and I have Splenda with my coffee every day (sometimes 2 coffees or more, depending!).
It has always been said that the cause of seizures can be multifactorial - alcohol, dehydration, exhaustion, stress, a good whack on the noggin - etc. But do things like diet, particularly when it comes to chemicals like artificial sweeteners, play a role? A small number of people out there have stated that ketogenic diets have shown success, but there is so little consensus amongst all the experts in the fields and the empirical data available.
Just my rambling thoughts for the day. Still sick, but on the mend.

No comments:

Post a Comment