Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New article on Epilepsy

So I found this article on CNN not long ago:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/13/depression.drugs.suicide.risk/index.html?hpt=T2
It made me think, as not only have I tried the majority of those meds, but I am on 2 of the 5 meds which reputedly have a higher risk of suicide. Yay (notice the dripping sarcasm?). Now I don't find myself dealing with suicidal thoughts. Indeed, most of the time I find myself to be quite happy. I have a wonderful network of friends and family, and am getting married to the most amazing woman in the world (sorry single guys on the prowl, out there - you lost out!).

But I can't help wonder when I read articles like this... How much of what we read in articles such as this, or hear from our doctors and read on medicine bottles (such as side-effect warnings) become self-fulfilling prophecies? Do people kill themselves because they think that something is bad and they must be part of the rare % of population taking the medication who is destined to kill themselves? And what about weight gain?
I have been on Depakote for a couple of months now. I'm fatter by about 15 pounds. I am trying to be more active at the gym (I was before, but not as consistently) and eat better (my diet before was terrible), but I am not seeing anything improve. Is my metabolism with Depakote affected? Does Depakote infuse Pig DNA into my system?
Or would I not have gained weight if I hadn't been worried about it to begin with? If I can get my fat-ass back down into the 180s, I'll know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment